Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in a red and black shirt so are also known as ‘Rojinegro‘ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- Highlights: Newell’s 0-0 ColónMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys broke a run of three league defeats in a row but it was just one-point gained in a scoreless draw against Colón on Sunday night at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Newell’s sign goalkeeper Lautaro Morales on-loan from LanúsNewell’s Old Boys have confirmed the loan signing of Lanús goalkeeper Lautaro Morales. The deal is a 12-month loan with no purchase option or option to extend.
- Highlights: Aldosivi 2-4 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys progressed to the last 16 of the Copa Argentina with a much-needed 2-4 victory over Aldosivi on Wednesday night.
- Highlights: Atlético Tucumán 2-0 Newell’sHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys were beaten for the third time in a row on Saturday night, falling to two second-half goals in the north of Argentina against league leaders Atlético Tucumán.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-2 Defensa y JusticiaMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys succumbed to a second defeat on the bounce, going down by a single-goal to Defensa y Justicia at home on Monday night.
- Highlights: Rosario Central 1-0 Newell’sHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys lost for the first time this season, going down in the Clásico Rosarino by a first-half headed goal from Alejo Véliz.
- Highlights: Newell’s 0-0 RacingMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys drew for the third time in a row on Saturday night when a 0-0 draw with Racing Club was played out at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Highlights: Platense 1-1 Newell’sHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys went back to the top of the table on Saturday night despite a poor performance in a dull 1-1 draw against Platense.
- Highlights: Newell’s 2-2 PatronatoMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys lost what looked like a comfortable 2-goal lead on Monday night as Raúl Lozano’s 93rd minute goal sealed a draw for Patronato.
- Newell’s Old Boys launch new 3rd shirtNewell’s Old Boys have launched a new 3rd shirt which pays tribute to the 1992 championship win under legendary coach Marcelo Bielsa.
- Jerónimo Cacciabue loaned to Miedź LegnicaJerónimo Cacciabue has left Newell’s and moved to Poland to join Miedź Legnica, the club confirmed on Thursday
- Cristian Ferreira signs for Newell’s Old BoysCristian Ferreira has joined Newell’s Old Boys until the end of 2023. The central midfielder arrives from River Plate on-loan with a purchase option.
- Fabián Ángel joins Newell’s from Junior F.CNewell’s Old Boys have announced the loan signing of Fabián Ángel from Colombian club Junior.
- Highlights & Report: Estudiantes 0-2 Newell’sHighlights & Report: Newell’s Old Boys went 2 points clear at the top of the Torneo Binance with a magnificent away win at Estudiantes on Saturday evening.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-0 Argentinos JuniorsMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys returned to the top of the Torneo Binance table with a hard-fought home win over Argentinos Juniors on Monday night.
Buy an Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Away 2022€79.99
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Home 2022€79.99
Newell’s Old Boys 2021 Prematch Red & Black Pattern T-Shirt – Umbro€44.99
Newell’s Old Boys Red Training T-Shirt – Umbro€44.99
Newell’s Old Boys Zip-Up Tracksuit Jacket – Umbro – RedProduct on sale
Newell’s Old Boys White Round Collar T-Shirt – UmbroProduct on sale