Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in a red and black shirt so are also known as ‘Rojinegro‘ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-0 Central Córdoba (SdeE)Match Highlights: Maxi Rodríguez was the hero as Newell’s Old Boys bounced back from the defeat at Arsenal by winning all three points at home to Central Córdoba (Santiago del Estero) on Wednesday at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Highlights: Arsenal 3-1 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys suffered a tenth defeat of the season on Sunday afternoon, going down to the league’s bottom team Arsenal de Sarandí.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-0 UniónMatch Highlights: Newell’s followed up last week’s dramatic 1-0 win over Independiente with another 1-0 home win against Unión in the Liga Profesional de Fútbol on Monday evening.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-0 IndependienteRomán Bravo had a dream debut for Newell’s Old Boys, coming off the bench to score an unbelievable 93rd minute winner as La Lepra defeated Independiente at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Williams Barlasina signs long-term professional contract with Newell’sNewell’s Old Boys have announced that Williams Barlasina has been tied down to a new long-term contract keeping him in Rosario until December 2024.
- Highlights: Sarmiento 2-1 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Manager-less Newell’s Old Boys lost for a 9th time this season, going down to newly-promoted Sarmiento in Junín.
- Highlights: Newell’s 0-0 AldosiviNewell’s Old Boys played out a goalless draw with Aldosivi on Thursday in Adrián Blas Taffarel’s first match as interim manager.
- Fernando Gamboa sacked as manager of Newell’s Old BoysThe Newell’s Old Boys leadership parted ways with Fernando Gamboa last night (Sunday) after a run of games where the team tasted victory just once in the last eleven.
- Highlights: Gimnasia 1-0 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys succumbed to another defeat on Saturday, the team’s 6th loss in the last 9 games, as Gimnasia took all three points in La Plata.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-2 VélezNewell’s Old Boys fell to a fifth defeat in the last 8 games as fans returned to the stands at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa on Friday night.
- Highlights: Godoy Cruz 2-2 Newell’sNewell’s surrendered a two-goal lead in Mendoza on Saturday afternoon as Diego Flores’ Godoy Cruz came back in the second-half thanks to a Martín Ojeda brace.
- Highlights: Newell’s 0-1 HuracánNewell’s Old Boys fell to a third home defeat of the season on a frustrating Monday night at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Highlights: Lanús 1-2 Newell’sNewell’s finally broke a 7-game winless streak by taking all 3 points home from Lanús thanks to a Nicolás Castro brace.
- Dr Ignacio Astore elected new president of Newell’s Old BoysNewell’s Old Boys has a new club president. Dr Ignacio Astore, a medical professional who was once employed by the club as the team’s doctor, received the most votes in the twice-postponed club elections on Sunday.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-4 River PlateNewell’s Old Boys difficult run continued with a home defeat against River Plate on Wednesday night in Rosario.
Buy an Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Away 21/22€79.99
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Home 21/22€79.99
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Alternative 4th 20/21Product on sale
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Away 20/21Product on sale
Newell’s Old Boys 1970s Shirt with Marcelo Bielsa’s Number 2€50.00
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Home 20/21Product on sale