Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in a red and black shirt so are also known as ‘Rojinegro‘ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- Colombian defender Willer Ditta joins Newell’sThe 23-year-old signs for La Lepra on loan from Junior of Barranquilla where he won 4 titles in the last 4 years, making over 115 appearances.
- Newell’s Old Boys launch new home & away kits for 2022Newell’s Old Boys have launched a new kit partnership with Italian manufacturer Givova by unveiling their new home & away strips in a ceremony in Rosario on Friday.
- Leonel Vangioni returns to Newell’s Old BoysThe former Argentina international who played in Europe for AC Milan arrives on a free transfer and will play once again for his first club.
- Uruguyan defender Armando Méndez joins Newell’sThe 25-year-old right-back becomes Javier Sanguinetti’s first acquisition as Newell’s Old Boys manager after leaving Nacional.
- Cristian Lema signs up for the 2022 seasonThe dominating 31-year-old central defender has committed to another year at the club.
- Newell’s Old Boys appoint Javier Sanguinetti as managerJavier Sanguinetti has been announced as the new manager of Newell’s Old Boys. The former Banfield coach replaces Fernando Gamboa who was relieved of his duties in October.
- Ignacio Scocco announces his retirement from professional footballHe follows long-time friend and teammate Maxi Rodríguez in ending his career at Newell’s where he is the club’s 5th highest goalscorer of all time.
- Highlights: San Lorenzo 3-2 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Our Liga AFA campaign came to end on Sunday evening with a 3-2 defeat to San Lorenzo at the Nuevo Gasómetro. Newell’s ended the game with just 9 men after a controversial refereeing performance from Fernando Espinoza.
- Franco Escobar sold to LAFCThe defender will return to the MLS after the end of his loan spell this month.
- Highlights: Newell’s 0-0 BanfieldMatch Highlights: In his final match as a professional footballer, Maxi Rodríguez was given an emotional reception at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa as Newell’s played out a scoreless draw with Banfield.
- Highlights: Boca Juniors 0-0 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys secured a good point against Boca Juniors on Tuesday night after holding strong to keep a clean sheet in a scoreless draw.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-0 Central Córdoba (SdeE)Match Highlights: Maxi Rodríguez was the hero as Newell’s Old Boys bounced back from the defeat at Arsenal by winning all three points at home to Central Córdoba (Santiago del Estero) on Wednesday at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Highlights: Arsenal 3-1 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys suffered a tenth defeat of the season on Sunday afternoon, going down to the league’s bottom team Arsenal de Sarandí.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-0 UniónMatch Highlights: Newell’s followed up last week’s dramatic 1-0 win over Independiente with another 1-0 home win against Unión in the Liga Profesional de Fútbol on Monday evening.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-0 IndependienteRomán Bravo had a dream debut for Newell’s Old Boys, coming off the bench to score an unbelievable 93rd minute winner as La Lepra defeated Independiente at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
Buy an Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt
Newell’s Old Boys 2021 Prematch Red & Black Pattern T-Shirt – Umbro€44.99
Official Newell’s Old Boys 3rd Shirt 21/22 (Maradona Tribute)Product on sale
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Away 21/22Product on sale
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Home 21/22Product on sale
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Alternative 4th 20/21Product on sale
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Away 20/21Product on sale