Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in red and black so are also known as ‘Rojinegro’ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Buy Newell’s Carajo Marcelo Bielsa T-Shirt
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 17th January 2021In this week’s round-up: Icardi helps Pochettino to his first trophy as a manager and Lionel Messi receives the first red card of his Barcelona career.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 10th January 2021In this week’s round-up: Pochettino earns his first win at PSG with Icardi among the scorers, Messi scores 4 goals in 2 games and Boyé gets a golazo in the Copa Del Rey.
- Racing 3-1 Newell’s: Fértoli sends former club Newell’s out of the Copa Diego MaradonaA Fértoli quickfire double stunned Newell’s in the first half and luck deserted them in the second half when they searched for a way back into the game.
- Newell’s can win group by overcoming Racing in final matchMatch Preview: A Clásico Rosarino is a real possibility if Newell’s beat Racing Club in Avellaneda on Saturday night to win Group B of the Copa Diego Maradona.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 3rd January 2021In this week’s round-up: Pochettino is in at PSG, Messi assists De Jong, Dening scores a penalty in Cyprus and Orzán moves to Peru.
- Newell’s 0-1 Vélez: missed chances cost LepersNewell’s will be disappointed not to have scored as Vélez return to the capital with all three points in the Copa Diego Maradona.
- Group B’s top two meet as Newell’s face Vélez testMatch Preview: Newell’s face a test on Sunday night against a Vélez side who are still hoping for glory in the Copa Sudamericana.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 29 December 2020A first goal in Italian football for Nehuén Paz, a goal for Messi before his Christmas holidays in Rosario, Guzman wins the CONCACAF Champions League and Solari is appointed at Club América.
- Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys 3-1 Central CórdobaMatch Highlights: Youngsters shine as Newell’s Old Boys make it five wins in a row and cement their place at the top of Group B of the Copa Diego Maradona’s Complement Phase.
- Newell’s looking to end year on a high in Palacios’ last gameMatch Preview: Newell’s will bid farewell to Sebastian Palacios who returns to his parent club Independiente after Monday night’s home game against Central Córdoba.
- Highlights: La Lepra beat Sportivo Peñarol to move into the next round of Copa ArgentinaNewell’s Old Boys moved into the Round of 32 of the Copa Argentina after a two-goal win over third tier side Sportivo Peñarol de San Juan.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 20 December 2020Messi reaches Pele’s record, Boyé nets for Elche, Guzmán reaches CONCACAF final, and Heinze and Sensini accept new jobs.
- Godoy Cruz 0-3 Newell’s: Rodríguez cousins inspire third win in a rowNewell’s went to the top of Group B in the “Complement” Phase of the Copa Diego Maradona after a dominant win over struggling Godoy Cruz.
- Newell’s hope to improve against hopeless Godoy CruzMatch Preview: Frank Kudelka will be hoping for an improved performance despite last week’s win when Newell’s take on Godoy Cruz on Saturday.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 13 December 2020Valenzuela tastes glory in the US, Messi scores for Barcelona and there’s also goals for Figueroa, Tonso and Faravelli.