Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in a red and black shirt so are also known as ‘Rojinegro‘ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- Fernando Gamboa sacked as manager of Newell’s Old BoysThe Newell’s Old Boys leadership parted ways with Fernando Gamboa last night (Sunday) after a run of games where the team tasted victory just once in the last eleven.
- Highlights: Gimnasia 1-0 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys succumbed to another defeat on Saturday, the team’s 6th loss in the last 9 games, as Gimnasia took all three points in La Plata.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-2 VélezNewell’s Old Boys fell to a fifth defeat in the last 8 games as fans returned to the stands at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa on Friday night.
- Highlights: Godoy Cruz 2-2 Newell’sNewell’s surrendered a two-goal lead in Mendoza on Saturday afternoon as Diego Flores’ Godoy Cruz came back in the second-half thanks to a Martín Ojeda brace.
- Highlights: Newell’s 0-1 HuracánNewell’s Old Boys fell to a third home defeat of the season on a frustrating Monday night at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Highlights: Lanús 1-2 Newell’sNewell’s finally broke a 7-game winless streak by taking all 3 points home from Lanús thanks to a Nicolás Castro brace.
- Dr Ignacio Astore elected new president of Newell’s Old BoysNewell’s Old Boys has a new club president. Dr Ignacio Astore, a medical professional who was once employed by the club as the team’s doctor, received the most votes in the twice-postponed club elections on Sunday.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-4 River PlateNewell’s Old Boys difficult run continued with a home defeat against River Plate on Wednesday night in Rosario.
- Highlights: Colón 1-1 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Newell’s earned a draw against Copa de la Liga holders Colón in Santa Fe on 4 September. Facundo Mansilla’s volley for Newell’s was cancelled out by a controversial Facundo Farías penalty in the second half.
- Nicolás Castro signs new 2-year contract extension at Newell’sThe 20-year old creative midfielder will stay at La Lepra until 2023. He is having a breakthrough season at the club under manager Fernando Gamboa.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-2 Atlético TucumánMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys suffered a first home loss of the season, going down to Atlético Tucumán on Monday afternoon at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Highlights: Defensa y Justicia 2-0 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys suffered a two-goal defeat to Defensa y Justicia in the Liga AFA on Wednesday afternoon.
- Newell’s in mourning after the death of José Yudica at the age of 85The death has been announced of trailblazing coach José Yudica at the age of 85. Yudica, known as “El Piojo” (The Louse) was a Rosario native who started his playing career at Newell’s Old Boys in 1954 before playing for a number of clubs in Argentina such as Boca Juniors and Vélez Sarsfield.
- Newell’s 1-1 Central: a goal each in entertaining ClásicoNicolás Castro’s third goal of the season earned a point for Newell’s in this season’s Clásico Rosarino against the Liga AFA’s bottom side.
- Gamboa ready to give everything to win Sunday’s Clásico RosarinoMatch Preview: Newell’s manager Fernando Gamboa knows more than anyone what it’s like to win a Clásico Rosarino and he’s pledged to use that experience to prepare his team for Sunday’s derby game.
Buy an Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt
Official Newell’s Old Boys 3rd Shirt 21/22 (Maradona Tribute)€79.99
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Away 21/22€79.99
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Home 21/22€79.99
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Alternative 4th 20/21Product on sale
Newell’s Old Boys 1970s Shirt with Marcelo Bielsa’s Number 2€50.00
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Home 20/21Product on sale