Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in a red and black shirt so are also known as ‘Rojinegro‘ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- Carlos Rotondi sold to Defensa y JusticiaThe 23-year-old attacking winger previously impressed while on loan at Santiago Wanderers of Chile.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 1st March 2021In this week’s round-up: three goals for Messi in a week, Boyé and Leal score consolations and Banega bags two assists in one game.
- Talleres 2-2 Newell’s: Giani’s red overshadows chance to winCristian Lema returned and Justo Giani was sent off on his debut as Newell’s finally earned their first point in the Copa de la Liga.
- Pressure mounts for Kudelka as he faces former clubMatch Preview: If Kudelka is to turn things around, it must start with a good performance against Talleres, a club where he is still revered after taking them from the lower divisions to the top half of the Argentine Primera División.
- Franco Negri signs for Newell’s on a free transferNewell’s Old Boys have announced the signing of Franco Negri, a left-back who has played for San Lorenzo, Independiente Rivadavia, Quilmes and most recently, Belgrano.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 21st February 2021In this week’s round-up: Pochettino celebrates at the Nou Camp, Messi adds another two goals, Fydriszewski scores on his debut for Aucas and Leal is off the mark in Paraguay.
- Newell’s sign Justo Giani from QuilmesThe 21-year-old forward has scored 5 times in 33 games since making his professional debut for El Cervecero in 2017.
- Newell’s 0-1 Boca: Izquierdoz header the difference in poor gameNewell’s fell to a second defeat in a row in the Copa de la Liga 2021 as the champions Boca took all three points in what was a low quality contest in Rosario on Sunday night.
- Newell’s anticipate a challenge as champions Boca visit RosarioMatch Preview: In an ideal world, Newell’s might have had an easier game to follow the opening day defeat to Vélez in this season’s Copa de la Liga, but the champions Boca Juniors are in town on Sunday night.
- Jonatan Cristaldo signs for Newell’sThe 31-year-old striker is the latest La Lepra signing. ‘Churry’ joins on loan from Racing Club until the end of 2021.
- Cristian Lema returns to Newell’s on loanThe commanding centre-back was outstanding for La Lepra in 2019 before leaving for Saudi Arabia but he’s now back in the red & black.
- Franco Escobar injured: suffers broken metatarsal in trainingThe on-loan Atlanta United defender returned to the club last week but is already facing at least a couple of months on the sidelines.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 14th February 2021In this week’s round-up: Show-stopping performances from Messi & Banega while Paton Guzmán is Man of the Match in the Club World Cup Final despite losing to Bayern.
- Aníbal Moreno joins Racing on loanThe 21-year-old midfielder joins La Academia until the end of 2021 with Newell’s receiving $1million for the deal.
- Vélez 1-0 Newell’s: Pérez dismissed as Lucero goal wins it for El FortínPablo Pérez was sent off as Newell’s lost their opening game in the Copa de la Liga to Vélez Sarsfield.