Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in a red and black shirt so are also known as ‘Rojinegro‘ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- Highlights: Independiente 1-0 Newell’sHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys suffered a second defeat in a row in the league when they were beaten 1-0 by Independiente on Saturday night in Avellaneda.
- Highlights: Newell’s 0-1 SarmientoHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys lost their first league match since the departure of ex-coach Javier Sanguinetti as Sarmiento returned to Junín on Saturday night with all three points.
- Highlights: Aldosivi 1-2 Newell’sHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys made it 3 league wins in a row since the resignation of Javier Sanguinetti after a hard-fought win away at Aldosivi on Wednesday.
- Highlights: Newell’s 2-0 GimnasiaHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys were deserved winners in a magnificent win over 2nd-placed Gimnasia on Sunday afternoon at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Highlights: Talleres 2-1 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys went out of the Copa Argentina on Wednesday night, losing by a late winner to Talleres in bizarre weather conditions in San Luis.
- Highlights: Vélez 0-1 Newell’sHighlights: Interim head coach Gustavo Tognarelli oversaw a vital away win for Newell’s Old Boys in his first match since taking the reins from departing manager Javier Sanguinetti.
- Newell’s Old Boys sign Lucas MelanoNewell’s Old Boys have announced the signing of Lucas Melano. The 29-year-old unattached forward joins on a 1-year loan and last played for Universidad Católica of Chile.
- Javier Sanguinetti resigns as manager of Newell’s Old BoysNewell’s Old Boys are once again looking for a new coach after Javier Sanguinetti handed in his resignation on Monday.
- Highlights: Huracán 1-0 Newell’sHighlights: Referee Jorge Baliño was the star of the show as Newell’s fell to defeat away to Huracán on Saturday night.
- Highlights: Newell’s 2-0 LanúsNewell’s Old Boys celebrated a first win in nine league matches on Wednesday after overcoming struggling Lanús at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Highlights: River Plate 4-1 Newell’sHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys suffered a 3-goal defeat to a much-stronger River Plate side on Saturday night, slipping further down the table.
- Highlights: Newell’s 0-0 ColónMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys broke a run of three league defeats in a row but it was just one-point gained in a scoreless draw against Colón on Sunday night at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Newell’s sign goalkeeper Lautaro Morales on-loan from LanúsNewell’s Old Boys have confirmed the loan signing of Lanús goalkeeper Lautaro Morales. The deal is a 12-month loan with no purchase option or option to extend.
- Highlights: Aldosivi 2-4 Newell’sMatch Highlights: Newell’s Old Boys progressed to the last 16 of the Copa Argentina with a much-needed 2-4 victory over Aldosivi on Wednesday night.
- Highlights: Atlético Tucumán 2-0 Newell’sHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys were beaten for the third time in a row on Saturday night, falling to two second-half goals in the north of Argentina against league leaders Atlético Tucumán.
Buy an Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Away 2022€79.99
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Home 2022€79.99
Newell’s Old Boys 2021 Prematch Red & Black Pattern T-Shirt – Umbro€44.99
Newell’s Old Boys Red Training T-Shirt – Umbro€44.99
Newell’s Old Boys Zip-Up Tracksuit Jacket – Umbro – RedProduct on sale
Newell’s Old Boys White Round Collar T-Shirt – UmbroProduct on sale