Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in a red and black shirt so are also known as ‘Rojinegro‘ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- Highlights: Belgrano 1-1 Newell’sHighlights: Juan Sforza’s 69th minute equaliser in Córdoba made sure Newell’s made it an unbeaten opening three games in this year’s Copa de la Liga.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-0 LanúsHighlights: It’s 2 wins from 2 for Newell’s Old Boys in the Copa de la Liga thanks to Cristian Ferreira’s unforgettable goal after 5 minutes in Saturday night’s home game against Lanús.
- Highlights: Newell’s 2-0 Central CórdobaHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys recorded a home win over Central Córdoba (Santiago del Estero) on Monday night as the Copa de la Liga got underway.
- Ignacio Schor joins Newell’s on-loan from PlatenseNewell’s Old Boys have confirmed the signing of 23-year-old right-winger Ignacio Schor on a loan deal until December 2024.
- Highlights: Newell’s 0-0 CorinthiansHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys exited the Copa Sudamericana at the Round of 16 stage after a scoreless draw with Corinthians at home on Tuesday night.
- Highlights: Corinthians 2-1 Newell’sHighlights: Brazilian side Corinthians will take a one-goal lead into the second-leg of the Copa Sudamericana Round of 16 tie with Newell’s after second-half goals from Yuri Alberto and Wesley cancelled out Marcos Portillo’s first-half opener.
- Newell’s sign Augusto SchottClub Atlético Newell’s Old Boys announces the addition of Augusto Schott to their squad.
- Newell’s sign Colombian defender Carlos OrdoñezNewell’s have announced the signing of the Colombian defender Carlos Ordoñez who arrives immediately from Envigado.
- Highlights: Newell’s 1-1 TalleresHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys rounded off the Liga AFA season with a draw against league runners-up Talleres with both teams ending the game with 10 men.
- Highlights: Boca Juniors 2-1 Newell’sHighlights: Boca Juniors made it a home victory on Monday night at La Bombonera in the penultimate game of the season as Gabriel Heinze’s Newell’s Old Boys played catch-up to goals scored either side of half-time.
- Highlights: Newell’s 0-0 Atlético TucumánHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys had a Jorge Recalde goal ruled out for the 3rd time in 4 matches as VAR intervened to stop La Lepra taking all 3 points at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa on Monday night.
- Highlights: Independiente 0-2 Newell’sHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys bounced back from the defeat at Central Córdoba to record an impressive victory away at Independiente on Tuesday night.
- Highlights: Central Córdoba 2-0 Newell’sHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys suffered a disappointing defeat to Central Córdoba (Santiago del Estero) on Friday night as La Lepra continued to stutter when playing away from home.
- Highlights: Newell’s 2-2 GimnasiaHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys fought back from 2-0 down to salvage a draw against Gimnasia at home on Monday night.
- Highlights: Huracán 1-1 Newell’sHighlights: Newell’s Old Boys managed to grab a draw at Huracán on Friday night despite playing most of the second-half with only 10 men.