Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in a red and black shirt so are also known as ‘Rojinegro‘ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- Players return to training as pre-season begins under GamboaPre-season training began at the Jorge Griffa Centre on Monday as new Newell’s manager Fernando Gamboa took his first session with the squad.
- Newell’s Old Boys appoint Fernando Gamboa as manager50-year-old Gamboa returns to Newell’s for his second spell as manager, 13 years after his first spell. He won 3 titles as a player with Newell’s as part of Bielsa’s all-conquering side of the 1990s.
- Departure of Germán Burgos confirmed by Newell’s Old BoysIn his first managerial position since leaving Atlético Madrid, El Mono managed only 4 wins in 15 games as Newell’s boss.
- Lucas Bernardi on the verge of taking Director of Football position at Newell’sThe ex-Newell’s captain is expected to be the board’s choice to replace Sebastián Peratta as Director of Football.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 30th May 2021In this week’s round-up: Friendly win for Tata’s Mexico over Iceland, assist for Banega, goal for Urruti, draw for Heinze and successful surgery for Enzo Barrenechea.
- Newell’s 1-1 Atlético Goianiense: Giani’s goal cancelled out as both teams suffer eliminationIn what may be Germán Burgos’ last game as Newell’s manager, his youthful side couldn’t force a winner in a game in which they dominated against Brazilian opposition.
- Newell’s holding on to slim chance of qualification as Burgos eyes departureMatch Preview: Newell’s could top the group on Tuesday night but only if they beat a sturdy Atlético Goianiense side and Palestino score an unlikely win against Libertad.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 23rd May 2021In this week’s round-up: Bielsa finishes campaign with a 4th win in a row, Messi wins the Pichichi again, Vojvoda lifts title in Brazil, Bellotti’s goal helps InterCity to promotion and Leal, Urruti, Boyé and Banega scored goals.
- Newell’s 3-1 Palestino: young Lepers impress in Sudamericana victoryThe strength of the Newell’s academy was on show as a young Lepra side won 3 points at home in the Copa Sudamericana against bottom side Palestino.
- Newell’s 0-1 Sarmiento: Lema and Fernández sent off as La Lepra implodeGermán Burgos watched on as his Newell’s Old Boys side imploded in the Copa Argentina, going down to 9 men and suffering defeat to Mario Sciacqua’s Sarmiento in the neutral Estadio Único in San Nicolás.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 16th May 2021In this week’s round-up: Bielsa’s Leeds thrash Burnley, Pochettino claws his way back in France, Messi hits his 30th for Barca and there’s goals for Martínez, Urruti, Faravelli and Fydriszewski.
- Newell’s meet Sarmiento again for a place in the next round of the Copa ArgentinaMatch Preview: A place in the Copa Argentina Round of 16 is up for grabs as Newell’s face Sarmiento in the neutral Estadio Único de San Nicolás.
- HIGHLIGHTS: Libertad 1-0 Newell’s Old BoysMatch Highlights: WWatch the highlights as Newell’s Old Boys lost by a single goal in Paraguay to Libertad in Group F of the 2021 Copa Sudamericana.
- Libertad result could make or break Sudamericana chances for Newell’sMatch Preview: Preview: A good result in Paraguay could put Newell’s in the mix for Sudamericana qualification but a defeat would all but end hopes of progressing for El Mono Burgos.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 9th May 2021In this week’s round-up: Bielsa’s Leeds excellent in Spurs win, Ansaldi the creator for Torino in two games, Banega sees red in Saudi and goals for Leal, Faravelli and Barrenechea.
Buy an Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Home 2018 (No Sponsor)Product on sale
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Alternative 4th 20/21Product on sale
Official Newell’s Old Boys Shirt Away 20/21Product on sale
Newell’s Old Boys 1970s Shirt with Marcelo Bielsa’s Number 2€50.00