Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in a red and black shirt so are also known as ‘Rojinegro‘ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- HIGHLIGHTS: Libertad 1-0 Newell’s Old BoysMatch Highlights: WWatch the highlights as Newell’s Old Boys lost by a single goal in Paraguay to Libertad in Group F of the 2021 Copa Sudamericana.
- Libertad result could make or break Sudamericana chances for Newell’sMatch Preview: Preview: A good result in Paraguay could put Newell’s in the mix for Sudamericana qualification but a defeat would all but end hopes of progressing for El Mono Burgos.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 9th May 2021In this week’s round-up: Bielsa’s Leeds excellent in Spurs win, Ansaldi the creator for Torino in two games, Banega sees red in Saudi and goals for Leal, Faravelli and Barrenechea.
- HIGHLIGHTS: Newell’s Old Boys 1-1 SarmientoWatch the highlights as Newell’s Old Boys played out a score draw with Sarmiento in Rosario on Sunday night. It was the final game of their 2021 Copa de la Liga campaign.
- Newell’s can avoid bottom spot with win over Sarmiento in final Copa gameMatch Preview: Newell’s Old Boys’ participation in the 2021 Copa de la Liga comes to an end on Sunday night when they welcome newly-promoted Sarmiento to Rosario in their final Group B fixture.
- HIGHLIGHTS: Palestino 0-1 Newell’s Old BoysMatch Highlights: Watch the highlights as Newell’s Old Boys snatched an injury-time winner in Chile to beat Palestino by a single goal in the Copa Sudamericana.
- Newell’s kick-off again in Chile less than 48 hours after Clásico defeatMatch Preview: There’s no more time to despair over Sunday’s defeat as Germán Burgos picks up the pieces ahead of Tuesday night’s date with Palestino in Chile.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 2nd May 2021In this week’s round-up: Messi scores his 50th goal for Barcelona, Martínez conquers the Netherlands with Ajax, Paz scores his first goal in Turkey and Valenzuela on the scoresheet for Columbus Crew.
- HIGHLIGHTS: R.Central 3-0 Newell’s Old BoysNewell’s Old Boys suffered a painful defeat in the Clásico Rosarino on Sunday night. Germán Burgos’ side were outclassed by Kily González’s Canallas. A first-half goal from Marco Ruben and two second-half goals from Nicolás Ferreyra and Luca Martínez Dupuy did the damage at the Arroyito.
- Clásico Rosarino pits former teammates against each other in bitter rivalryMatch Preview: As players, they were rivals and teammates but now Germán Burgos & Kily González go up against each other as coaches in the battle for Rosario.
- HIGHLIGHTS: Newell’s Old Boys 1-3 LibertadMatch Highlights: Watch the goals as the Paraguayans cemented their place at the top of Group F with an away win against Germán Burgos’ Newell’s Old Boys.
- Cardozo returns to his former stomping ground as Newell’s face tricky Libertad tieMatch Preview: The league leaders in Paraguay, Libertad, come to Rosario on Thursday with an air of confidence after winning 3 points in their opening game last week.
- Gimnasia 2-1 Newell’s: El Mono suffers first defeat as manager of La LepraGermán Burgos suffered defeat as Newell’s boss at the seventh time of asking as Gimnasia ran out 2-1 winners in La Plata on Monday evening in the Copa de la Liga.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 25th April 2021In this week’s round-up: Icardi scores 4 goals in a week (including a Panenka), Boyé on the scoresheet in Spain, Mancini in Greece, Heinze guides Atlanta to home win and Patón breaks more records in Mexico.
- Gimnasia the first of 3 important games in the next week for Newell’s Old BoysMatch Preview: With a crucial week ahead, the first of potentially 3 games in 6 days for Newell’s sees La Lepra make the journey to La Plata to play Gimnasia in the Copa de la Liga on Monday evening.