Welcome to the number one English-language news and information website for the Argentine football club Newell’s Old Boys of Rosario. Founded in 1903 and named after Englishman Isaac Newell who emigrated to Rosario to establish a school, Newell’s Old Boys have won the Argentine league championship 7 times, most recently in 2013.
Newell’s Old Boys play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, also known as the Parque Independencia or El Coloso. The stadium is named after the club’s most successful manager, Marcelo Bielsa, who won titles in 1990, 1991 and 1992 with Newell’s.
The club has a long history of developing footballers and some of the most well-known players to have started their careers at the club are Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Mauricio Pochettino, Tata Martino, Jorge Valdano, Walter Samuel, Lionel Scaloni, Maxi Rodríguez, Éver Banega and Cristian Ansaldi.
Newell’s Old Boys are nicknamed ‘Los Leprosos’ (The Lepers) or ‘La Lepra’ (The Leprosy). The nickname stems from the 1920s when Newell’s agreed to play a charity match for victims of leprosy but their rivals, Rosario Central, refused.
The club play in red and black so are also known as ‘Rojinegro’ (red & black).
This website takes its name from the most famous phrase associated with supporting Newell’s Old Boys. When Marcelo Bielsa won his first title with Newell’s in 1990, he shouted ‘Newell’s Carajo!’ at the fans and the phrase has since become a rallying cry for supporters of the club.
Buy Newell’s Carajo Marcelo Bielsa T-Shirt
Latest Newell’s Old Boys News and Updates
- Newell’s Old Boys pay tribute to former player Diego MaradonaTributes have been paid by Newell’s Old Boys fans, coaches and players, both past and present, after the death of football icon Diego Armando Maradona.
- Newell’s 1-1 Talleres: La Lepra surrender lead to 10 menNewell’s had a 1-0 lead when Ignacio Méndez was sent off for Talleres at the end of the first half but Tomas Pochettino’s equaliser secured a draw for the the 10-men from Córdoba.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 23 November 202019 wins in 22 games for Tata, Ansaldi scores against his old club in Serie A, Tonso debuts in Chile and Figueroa and Fydriszewski both reach 11 league goals in Ecuador.
- Talleres game is must-win according to KudelkaMatch Preview: Newell’s need to beat group leaders Talleres on Monday night in Rosario to be in with a chance of graduating from the group in the top two.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 16 November 2020A quiet week for Lepers Abroad due to the international break but two former Newell’s players did face off as managers in the CONMEBOL World Cup Qualifiers.
- Lanús 2-4 Newell’s: Kudelka finds a winning formula as La Lepra put four past LanúsThe manager’s changes paid dividends as Newell’s overcame a flat Lanús side. Maxi Rodríguez was on the scoresheet on the 21st anniversary of his debut.
- Kudelka plays down importance of tournament ahead of Lanús gameMatch Preview: Newell’s Old Boys are missing two key players ahead of Saturday’s visit to group rivals Lanús.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 9 November 2020Messi comes off the bench to drive Barcelona win, Martínez called up to Argentina, Valenzuela assists in the MLS and Escobar loses the plot.
- Newell’s 0-2 Boca Juniors: Possession counts for little against clinical BosterosNewell’s lacked the golden touch against Boca and paid the ultimate price despite dominating possession.
- Guanini fired into the spotlight for Boca challengeMatch Preview: Newell’s Old Boys face a defensive conundrum ahead of Sunday’s visit of Boca Juniors to the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
- Newell’s Old Boys launch new alternative 4th shirtIt will be worn for the first time on Sunday 8 November for the home game against Boca Juniors.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 2 November 2020Banega scores the winner in Saudi, Guzmán reaches 300 games for Tigres and El Polaco scores his 9th of the season in Ecuador.
- Talleres 3-1 Newell’s: 10-man Newell’s are overwhelmed in CórdobaFrank Kudelka’s Newell’s Old Boys suffered defeat away to Talleres in the opening match of the new Copa Liga Profesional de Fútbol.
- Kudelka on familiar territory as Argentine football returnsMatch Preview: Newell’s finally get back to competitive action on Friday 30 October with an opening day trip to Córdoba to face Talleres.
- Lepers Abroad: Gameweek ending 26 October 2020Bielsa’s Leeds go to 5th, Martínez scores in 13-0 win for Ajax, Forestieri assists in Serie A and Ponce is Man of the Match in Russia.